Home > Research > Polar Instru and Raman Spectr
Polarimetry and Applications
Polarimetry & Applications
Since the foundation of the lab, 20 years ago, there has been an effort for the developpement of polarimetric instrumentation. At the beginning this activity was tightly related to the reserach in Thin Films (eg in situ Spectroscopic Ellipsometry), but nowadays it represents a completely independent activity. Here is a list of our latest developments :
- Spectroscopic Ellipsometer that works from the visible to the far UV range (0.14 um). This instrument is going to be produced by Jobin-Yvon SA (groupe Horiba).
- Mueller Ellipsometer. This instrument is capable of measuring the 16 Mueller coefficients, instead of the 2 that the traditional Ellipsometry measures. With this instrument, it is possible to caracterize optically the polarimetric response of any system. The latest development has been the set up of a Mueller Polarimeter that uses Liquid Crystals as polarizers and analyzers and a CCD for the signal detection.
All these developments have led to new applications :
- Polarimetric Imaging mainly for biomedial applications. This technique allows de measurement of the change in the optical properties of the human tissues such as depolarization, birrefraction which allows the detection of small size cancers and thus a the treatment of the sick person in a less mature stage of the cancer. This activity is done with the help of Laurent Schwartz, a doctor specialized in cancerology that works part-time in LPICM.
- Detection of sub-micron particles on the silicon surfaces
- Metrology of the control of the size in the gratings used in microelectronics. In this application, the measurements are interpreted thanks to the modelisation of the interaction of the polarized light with the grating . We have thus developed a code for that named RCWA (Rigorous Couple Wave Analysis).
Contact : Bernard DREVILLON, Antonello DE MARTINO